Home Health Care Brooklyn NY
Each year throughout the United States approximately 500,000 people are diagnosed with a peptic ulcer. This accounts for around 5 million people across the nation suffering from this condition at any given time. An ulcer is an open sore in the lining of the stomach or in the upper portion of the small intestine that is often caused by bacteria or long-term use of specific medications.
While approximately 75 percent of those who have ulcers do not experience any form of symptoms while they are suffering this condition, if left unmanaged or not managed properly, a stomach ulcer can be very dangerous. Such a condition can lead to internal bleeding or an infection that put their overall health and well-being at risk.
Helping them to manage their ulcer effectively can protect their health and reduce the chances of serious complications. Use these tips to help you care for an elderly adult who is living with a peptic ulcer:
• Encourage a healthy, balanced diet. While it is a misconception that what your parent eats can cause their body to develop an ulcer, eating a balanced diet will give their body the vitamins and other nutrients it needs to heal the ulcer. Eating spicy foods, alcohol, acidic foods, and other similar foods can worsen the ulcer so it is important to control these foods to ease their discomfort and help them heal.
• Consider cutting out dairy. Many people who suffer pain as a symptom of their ulcer drink milk or eat dairy products as a means of reducing the pain. This, however, can later lead the stomach to produce excess acid, worsening the condition. Talk to your aging loved one’s doctor about the role that milk can play in their diet and if they should eliminate dairy.
• Encourage them to get enough sleep. When your parent is dealing with an ulcer, they need to support their body’s ability to heal. Getting enough sleep supports the immune system, which both helps them to heal and reduces the chances that the bacteria will continue to flourish, worsening the ulcer or developing another.
Starting elderly home health care for your aging parent is one of the best decisions that you can make for them throughout the course of your caregiver journey with them. An elderly home health care services provider can be with your senior loved one on a customized schedule that is tailored to their specific needs, challenges, and limitations in a way that is right for them.
This means that they can enjoy a lifestyle that is fulfilling, active, and engaged, but that is also safe, comfortable, and healthy. A care provider can create a highly personalized course of care, support, assistance, and encouragement designed to address their personality, goals, and beliefs so that they are able to live the lifestyle that they desire and deserve throughout their later years.
When it comes to helping your senior cope with challenging illness and conditions, such as a stomach ulcer, an elderly home health care services provider can help your parent to understand their condition, encourage compliance with their medications and lifestyle guidelines given to them by their doctor, and provide support and encouragement to help them maintain their quality of life while dealing with their condition in the way that is right for them.
If you or an aging loved one is considering Home Health Care Services in Brooklyn NY, please contact the caring staff at Kingsbridge Home Healthcare. Call today: (347) 289-7118.
Kingsbridge Home Healthcare Services is proud to be a leading home healthcare provider in our community.
Latest posts by Danielle Parchment (see all)
- Providing a Safe Home for your Parent - March 2, 2017
- Why Might Your Elder Loved One Be Constipated? - February 23, 2017
- Signs That Your Loved One Might be Suffering from Anosmia - February 15, 2017